Relocating from Tokyo (Temporary or Permanent) (15 posts)

Topic tags: 9.0 magnitude, earthquake, environmental, evacuating, evacuation, fukushima daiichi, janette dillerstone, nuclear, radiation, radioactivity, sendai, tokyo, tsunami, wakabayashi, wakabayashi fund
  • Profile picture of janettedillerstone janettedillerstone said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you very much for posting this as it keeps us up to date. Of the concern for our children, we have relocated our family, staff & pets down to Okinawa. As one heads into Osaka, the food, water, toilet paper is on shelves but gasoline is monitored at numerous stations throughout the freeway. Osaka, I recommend the Tokyu Inn; Kagoshima, I recommend the Lexton Hotel. Both were extremely accomodating. There’s a ferry that will transport all from Kagoshima to Okinawa & your automobiles as well. Transport of autos runs about $1000 +-.
    The ferry has private rooms available as well as sleeping area for those who will sleep in large open space w futons. The ferry takes 25 hrs & only one per day – leaving at 6pm. Cash, JCB Card or Amex.
    The weather is chilly in Okinawa now but a safer place for children.

• Profile picture of Glyn Meredith Glyn Meredith said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi, Janet,

Thanks for your post. Just wondering why anyone would consider relocating from Kagoshima to Okinawa, plus auto, etc. $1,000 is a lot of cash for most people. I know info. is useful, but your post is about relocating (evacuating?) from Tokyo.

• Profile picture of janettedillerstone janettedillerstone said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Dear Glyn,

The temporary relocation was from Tokyo to Okinawa. Or permanent for some if they prefer. Yes it was pricey but an option. We chose this as we felt that we were not getting the adequate news in Tokyo, whereby we relied on CNN, Reuters & BBC. My husband & I are in our mid 40′s-we could have stayed. But we had two small children, 4 yrs old and a 1 yr old that we are responsible for and concern rose regarding the radiation.

Glyn, do you have any news or info of how long the radiation could last? CNN stating that JP officials saying it is unknown and from the crisis at 3 mile island, it lingered for 10 years.

As well, with 25 embassies leaving or closing up due to this disaster, with US military allowing voluntary relocation to another base for its servicemen, and with the US military taking the pregnant wives of officers from main Japan to Okinawa, we felt this a good choice to bring the kids to safety.

trust me, if u think the toll roads r expensive in Japan, the ferries are another shocker.

Hi, Janet,

If you can afford to relocate your whole family, it’s not surprising that you made the decision. However, I also have a family in Tokyo. We evacuated our youngest to Kyushu for a week, when the situation was not clear to us (he’s back now) but our appraisal of the situation is that most of the exodus from Tokyo in the last few days is either due to a lack of information, not trusting available information, or paranoia.

Life in Tokyo is fast getting back to normal. There are fewer aftershocks, background radiation is well within safe limits (see the link on this site), the iodine 131 level in water is going down (warning advisory has been removed) and there is plenty of food in the supermarkets. Millions of Tokyo residents are staying here and trying (successfully, I believe) to keep some kind of normality in their lives.

We have done a lost of research and do not just rely on news feeds. Unfortunately, the media make more money by making a drama out of misfortune. If you listen to the experts and do your own research, I believe you will get nearer to the truth.

Groundless rumors and panic are the worst of our enemies.

Good luck with your relocation, Janet. I hope you resettle your family with the minimum of cost and disruption.

Glyn

Dear Glyn,
    I hope to God that you are right as this entire matter frightens me for the sake of children. I truly hope to meet you soon upon our return to Tokyo. I am very grateful for your updates on this site.
    Very sincerely,
    Janette

Yes, I hope I’m right, Janette. Most decisions in life are calculated risks but the worst decisions are those made with inadequate information or through unfounded fear.

Look on the bright side: the earthquake aftershocks are now few and far between; the dire situation at Fukushima Daiichi power station seems to be more stable and should become easier to manage now that power has been restored to the site; things are getting better in Tokyo, day by day.

If you listen to the yapping on the social media, most of it arises from fear, irrational deduction, lack of research, gossip, speculation, etc.

I hope you and yours have a great time in Okinawa and if you need to return to Tokyo anytime soon, please don’t be afraid.

Glyn – Tokyo – sunny morning.

• Profile picture of Nancy Donaldson Nancy Donaldson said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Have enjoyed your conversations with each other on the fears of radiation. Glyn, you are so right as to much media fear, speculation. I can’t say I blame her for leaving temporarily perhaps, as she has the two little ones. I live in Southern California. I hear, read and watch tv, multiple statements and opinions and “news flashes” . The news flashes are always some horrid fears, not to ever be followed up again. I also read Gov’t. sites and read the “nuclear scientists”, of whom I tend to believe the most. I believe that we all get radiation daily thru natural causes and thru medical tests etc. and that so far, it appears that the warnings are not to be taken with big fears. However, if radiation of too much over period of steady time, can cause cancer 5 to 10 years later , then seems that would account for the constant rise of cancers, at least in the U.S. Who knows for sure..but I am NO longer nervous about it as I know that NOONE seems to know much and the radiation levels remain much lower than can cause harm according to the experts. May all of Gods Speed be with you and Janette and family and all of those that are in shelters, to remain well and at Peace with all the courage of the Japanese.

glyn how old is your little one? if anythign worse happens, please accept my invitation to send your child / children here. i believe you can find my email from your sign up form. the concern for radiation etc is for the children not us. i have another japanese friend who will be sending her two children here as well to be with us until matters subside down meanwhile God bless you and your family. very kindest regards, janette

• Profile picture of william william said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi, everyone
    I just returned from 9 days in Kyushuu to face life in Tokyo. Things do feel like they’re beginning to return to normal, other than the worries over the fate of the reactor. By the way, does anyone know of any way to obtain updates on the iodine levels in drinking water? Does it really pose no threat to adults?
    Regards,
    William

Hi, Janette,

Many thanks for your kind offer. Our youngest isn’t so little; he’s 11 and growing well.

Hi, William,

The main problems are fear and lack of knowledge. Any updates on iodine 131 in the drinking water or other radiation threats are well publicized in the media and I’m sure that at current levels there is no threat to anyone here in Tokyo.

• Profile picture of lentildude lentildude said 3 years, 5 months ago:

William,
    the World Health Authority reports that, ‘the standard for adults is 300 Becquerels per litre in drinking-water. In the very unlikely scenario that drinking-water was contaminated and consumed for an entire year at this level, the additional radiation exposure from this water would be equivalent to natural background radiation during one year or to one chest X-ray.’
    Here is the full article;

http://www.who.int/hac/crises/jpn/faqs/en/index8.html

• Profile picture of janettedillerstone janettedillerstone said 3 years, 4 months ago:

one month later after the big one…we got another one. i hope to God that you and your families are all ok.
    my daughter saw the earthquake reports showing up on all tv stations here in okinawa. she began to cry and ask about all of our family and friends. she (4 years old) has cried herself to sleep…i pray these stop soon.

• Profile picture of neko neko said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Janette, I feel for your daughter, must be terrifying for her but she is lucky to have you looking out for her. Hope the aftershocks settle down soon.

• Profile picture of Glyn Meredith Glyn Meredith said 3 years, 4 months ago:

How are things now, Janette? I hope your daughter is OK and you are all doing fine. Any news from your location?